Research Excellence Framework panel members and assessors
The Royal College of Pathologists has been chosen as an organisation to nominate candidates to be panel members for the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021.
Applicants wishing to be nominated by the College are invited to submit their application for consideration. The College welcomes applications from everyone that would like to apply and advises that applicants should have a good knowledge of the REF process.
What roles are available?
Applications are open for:
- additional main panel members – with expertise in leading, commissioning or making use of interdisciplinary research, leading research internationally, or senior level experience in the commissioning, use or wider benefits of research
- sub-panel members and assessors – including practising researchers, individuals with expertise in commissioning, applying or making use of research, and interdisciplinary advisers.
Who should apply?
Applications are sought from individuals who have served previously on REF or Research Assessment Exercise panels, as well as those for whom this would be a new experience. ‘Research users’ – people outside of academia, who make use of university research in their organisation or professional activity – can apply, and the REF have provided guidance for these candidates on their website.
REF 2021 are aiming to increase representativeness of the expert panels and are particularly welcoming nominations of individuals from groups previously under-represented on assessment panels, including women, people form black and ethnic minority backgrounds, and disabled people.
How do I apply?
If you wish to submit an application for consideration by the College, please:
- read the supporting information for the roles
- ensure that you are aware of the provisional timetable and workload implications
- download and complete the application form
- return the completed application form to Joanne Brinklow by no later than midday on Wednesday 13 December 2017.
Applicants will need to confirm that they are willing and able to serve as a panel member before their names and contact details are put forward.
REF 2021 Application Form
Download this form to apply to become a REF2021 panel member
Joanne Brinklow November 2017
Information about REF 2021
The REF is the system for assessing the quality and impact of research in UK higher education institutions (HEIs). It was first conducted in 2014, and replaced the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE). The REF will be undertaken by the four UK higher education funding bodies: the Higher Education Funding Council for England, the Scottish Funding Council, the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales, and the Department for the Economy, Northern Ireland.