Below is a summary of the College's expenses policy. For full details on what can and cannot be claimed, please download a copy of the full policy.
The College now operates an online expenses claim system in partner with Rydoo. For those entitled to claim expenses for attendance at a College meeting please use the online system. If you are new to claiming, or have not used the online system before, please download the new user form and instruction manual below. Please note if you are based overseas and do not have a UK bank account please refer to your contact at the College who will send you a manual form and details on how to claim.
- Scheduled journey times of less than 1 hour should be on a standard class basis.
- Scheduled journey times in excess of 1 hour may be made on a first class basis.
- First class fares are reimbursable if they have been purchased in advance of the day of travel.
- Sometimes first class travel is cheaper than the standard class fare in which case first class may be used.
- College staff should travel standard class.
- To purchase tickets in advance, websites such as www.thetrainline.com may offer competitive fares.
Travel by car
- Mileage rate of 45p for the first 10,000 miles in a tax year, 25p per mile thereafter.
- Total mileage claim plus tolls, congestion charge, parking, etc. must not exceed the standard class rail fare.
Travel by bicycle
- Mileage allowance for travel by bicycle – 20p per mile.
Travel by air
- All air travel should be made on an advanced purchase basis.
- Travel within the UK should be on an economy class basis.
- For travel outside the UK, contact the Chief Executive or Treasurer for authorisation prior to purchasing tickets. This would normally be on an economy class basis.
- Maximum limit £200 per night (including breakfast).
- Hotel receipts should be in the name of the College or your own name.
- Personal incidental expenses may be claimed up to £5 per day, but not for hotel leisure costs or alcoholic beverages.
Meals and subsistence
- Under 4 hours away from home, not claimable.
- Between 4 and 8 hours, not to exceed £8.
- Between 8 and 12 hours, not to exceed £18.
- Between 12 and 24 hours, not to exceed £40.
- Thank you type dinners for groups such as examiners, not to exceed £50 per head.
- Dates of meetings are publicised in advance when discounts on advanced bookings are available.
- Claims must be submitted within two months of the date of the meeting or travel.
- Receipts must support all expense claims.