This five day update course is designed for pathologists at Consultant and Senior Trainees applying for Consultant jobs. The course is slanted towards practical diagnostic histopathology, providing a comprehensive coverage of the histopathology of breast disease, with special emphasis on areas which pose diagnostic difficulties.
Specific skills and knowledge that the participants will acquire during the course:
• Report breast biopsies according to the Guidelines of the Royal College of Pathologists
• Identify the best way for dealing with the breast gross specimens, including those that have been treated by neo-adjuvant chemotherapy
• Provide the Oncologists with accurately determined predictive and prognostic factors
• Acquire the ability to confidently reach a diagnosis in difficult and border-line lesions
• Discuss how to use immunohistochemistry to establish the diagnosis in difficult cases and accurately assess hormone receptors and HER2 status of breast carcinoma
• Recognise the pitfalls that may be encountered when dealing with core and vacuum-assisted biopsies
• Have an update knowledge of the recent literature dealing with diagnostic histopathology of breast disease
• Appreciate the impact of basic research and molecular genetics on diagnostic breast pathology.