International Trainee Support Scheme
The International Trainee Support Scheme is an online based scheme that is aimed at supporting overseas doctors and scientists (also known as ‘International Medical and Science Graduates’) who are planning to sit the College’s fellowship examinations.
The International Trainee Support Scheme (ITSS) will provide structured support, advice, training and guidance to overseas doctors and scientists who are planning to sit the College’s FRCPath Part 1 and Part 2 examinations. Following last year's pilot, the scheme has been now opened to all overseas doctors and scientists.
Under the scheme, doctors are encouraged to register with the College at least twelve months before they intend to take the exam. Those registering with the scheme will benefit from the following:
- International Trainee membership of The Royal College of Pathologists;
- Access to a web-based system which will support workplace-based assessment and trainee e-portfolio (also known as the ‘Learning Environment for Pathology Trainees’ (LEPT) System);
- Access to e-learning materials and courses covering the curriculum, training and examination preparation;
- An assigned College Mentor/ Educational Supervisor;
- A self-assessment tool and Personal Development Action Plan (PDAP);
- Directed learning and assignments designed to address any gaps or weaknesses in knowledge, skills, understanding and behaviours;
- Detailed examination feedback (through the assigned College Mentor/ Educational Supervisor);
- A free copy of the College’s quarterly Bulletin and all College mailings (including the monthly e-newsletter) for the duration of training;
- Priority access to the College’s Medical Training Initiative (MTI) and Clinical Attachments & Observership Schemes, which will enable Scheme Trainees to come to the UK for up to 24 months to undertake a period of higher specialty training and/or research; and
- Membership of the College’s International Trainee Forum (currently in development).
Application Process and Timetable
1. Deadline for 2017 Applications
The applications are now invited from overseas doctors who are planning to sit the FRCPath Part 1 or Part 2 in Histopathology and who wish to benefit from the additional support provided by the International Trainee Support Scheme.
The applications for this year are now CLOSED.
Please be aware, that the places on the Scheme are limited.
To be eligible to take part in the scheme, applicants must:
a) Intend (or be prepared) to sit the relevant fellowship examination in Histopathology no earlier than autumn 2018
b) Submit the application IN FULL by the application deadline
Please be aware, that applications that are INCOMPLETE will be automatically rejected.
3. How to apply
Doctors wishing to apply should complete the online application form here.
4. Successful applicants
The applicants will be notified about the outcome of their application once the deadline has passed.
Successful applicants will be notified during the week beginning on Monday, 9 October 2017.
5. The Scheme cost
The Scheme Admission Fee to join the Scheme is £495. The payment is only required once the successful applicant has been offered a place on the Scheme.
Please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any further queries.