Sponsorship Scheme

The Royal College of Pathologists is now accepting applications for the Sponsorship Scheme. 

Guidance for doctors applying for Sponsorship Scheme

Pre-registration verification of qualifications

From 11 June 2018, all applicants seeking registration with a licence to practise will be required to have their primary medical qualification independently verified before being granted registration, if they:

  • Qualified at a medical school outside of the UK, EEA or Switzerland OR
  • Are a national of a country outside the UK, EEA or Switzerland who graduated from a medical school outside the UK AND
  • Do not already hold provisional registration with a licence to practice.

Verification will be carried out by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) through their online system, Electronic Portfolio of International Credentials (EPIC) service. Please visit the GMC website for detailed information on the process. 

Applications started before 11 June

Applications for provisional or full registration with a licence to practise which have not been submitted to the GMC and paid for by midnight on 10 June, will be closed on 11 June as the GMC will need to update their system. If you start another application on or after 11 June, you will need to have your primary medical qualification (and post graduate qualification, if you have one) verified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) before the GMC can grant registration with a licence to practise.

Work Permit

Unless International Medical Graduates (IMGs) are by some route exempt from the work permit regulations a work permit will be necessary in order to take up a post if doctors are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA). IMGs should consider these regulations closely before making any firm commitment to come to the UK to seek training. Information about work permits is available on the College website here.

Apart from Government funded IMGs, sponsorship enquiries for training in Immunology or Haematology should be directed to the Royal College of Physicians.

Evidence of your knowledge of English

If you are applying for registration with a licence to practise through the sponsorship route, you must demonstrate your knowledge of English using either an acceptable IELTS or Occupational English Test(OET) certificate.