FRCPath Examination: Item Writer
WHAT DOES THE ROLE ENTAIL?
Item writers are appointed by Council on the recommendation of the Examinations Committee. Individuals may be nominated by the relevant SAC or the Panel Chair. Alternatively, applications from eligible Fellows of the College may be accepted following open advertisement by the College. The Examinations Committee will normally take advice from the Panel Chair for that specialty in deciding on accepting a nomination. Initial appointment will be for 5 years. Continuation as an examiner will be subject to annual review by the Panel Chair.
As an item writer you will be asked to produce questions for College examinations and mark examination scripts or other work by candidates in your specialty.
WHY SHOULD I APPLY?
Examinations are a core activity of the College's work and examiners make a huge contribution to the successful delivery of the internationally recognised FRCPath examinations. Item writers can go on to become examiners and senior examiners as they gain knowledge and experience of their examination and even contribute to the development of the examination. Many examining activities are recognised for CPD.
WHAT’S THE COMMITMENT?
- must keep up to date with scientific, medical and educational developments in the specialty.
- will be expected to participate in examinations on a minimum of three occasions during the five year period.
- must be prepared to undertake training in the examination process arranged by the College.
- should hold at least the Part 1 examination in the relevant specialty
- should be in active clinical practice or research
- should normally work in UKAS registered or accredited laboratories, (where relevant to the specialty)
- should be in a recognised training programme (if still in training)
- should have evidence that they participate in EQA schemes where appropriate
HOW DO I APPLY?
Please complete the application form and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org.