As an organisation involved in many aspects of professional development – from training and exams through to CPD and recruitment – we rely on the expert advice, support and input of our members to deliver the College’s work.
This Volunteers’ Week (1-7 June), we want to extend a huge thank you to all our volunteers. They are a fundamental part of our organisation and their involvement ensures that we are able to best represent and advocate for pathology services – to medical undergraduates, school students, the public and to stakeholders and government.
“I volunteer for the College because I like the idea of sharing the passion for my work. If I was a teenager starting to get a glimpse of adult life, I would love to see ‘old people’ showing passion for what they do every day – especially when it is something quite interesting like building a real microscope!” Giuseppe Pichierri who volunteered at the Hullaballo Festival.
How volunteers support us
Alongside members of our Trustee Board – who are responsible for the governance of the College - our volunteers:
- Sit on the College Council, regional councils and Specialty Advisory Committees and play a fundamental role in advising the College on issues affecting our members
- Attend interviews and review job descriptions for pathology-related roles to ensure excellence in pathology recruitment
- Inspire the public and students by taking part in public engagement events and careers fairs
- Keep our exams running by writing exam questions, marking papers and assessing written projects
- Oversee training across the country as part of College Specialty Training Committees
- Help review documents we’re developing from guidelines to new curricula.
- Represent us across the world as International and Country Advisors
- Mentor and support our international trainees who are starting their careers in the UK.