The College is committed to building on the support it already provides for undergraduates, ensuring that there are opportunities for Foundation trainees to experience pathology in the course of their Foundation training. Foundation trainees can take part in our Taster Scheme and can enter the Hugh Platt Foundation Essay Prize.
Our Taster Scheme for Foundation doctors
The Royal College of Pathologists runs a taster scheme for Foundation doctors who wish to experience a pathology specialty to inform future career decisions. The Taster Scheme has been established to strengthen links between Foundation doctors and pathology, raise awareness of the pathology specialties as career options and assist with recruitment into the pathology specialties.
The scheme has two elements:
- a centrally-organised Foundation Taster Event at the College, where participants have the opportunity to find out more about the various pathology specialties, learn about the application process and hear some interview tips
- a taster day in a relevant pathology department(s) within their own region.
Foundation and Undergraduate Taster Event –pathology through a COVID lens
The joint RCPath/BDIAP Foundation and Undergraduate Taster Event – pathology through a COVID lens took place on Tuesday 21 July 2020. This was an exciting opportunity for attendees to explore pathology and see what the career has to offer.
Attendees had the opportunity to explore:
- What pathology actually is and why it is important
- What the training involves
- The variety of opportunities that are available for trainees to pursue e.g. teaching, molecular and digital pathology
- Advice about the application process and how to be successful at the interview
- How to pursue academic and research opportunities in pathology
This virtual programme was delivered through the live event and supported by a mixture of specialty-specific sound bite videos from a variety of specialties including histopathology, microbiology/infection training, haematology, chemical pathology and immunology.
Our next Foundation Taster Event will be advertised alongside our other events in our conferences calendar.
Organising a Taster Day for Foundation doctors
If you are a pathologist and have any questions about organising a taster day, please do not hesitate to contact Dr Angharad Davies, the RCPath Undergraduate & Foundation Lead (Foundation) by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also find it helpful to refer to Health Education England's sample Guidance on the Provision of Specialty Tasters for Foundation Doctors.