The College is committed to building on the support it already provides for undergraduates, ensuring that there are opportunities for Foundation trainees to experience pathology in the course of their Foundation training. Foundation trainees can take part in our Taster Scheme and can enter the Hugh Platt Foundation Essay Prize.
Our Taster Scheme for Foundation doctors
The Royal College of Pathologists runs a taster scheme for Foundation doctors who wish to experience a pathology specialty to inform future career decisions. The Taster Scheme has been established to strengthen links between Foundation doctors and pathology, raise awareness of the pathology specialties as career options and assist with recruitment into the pathology specialties.
The scheme has two elements:
- a centrally-organised Foundation Taster Event at the College, where participants have the opportunity to find out more about the various pathology specialties, learn about the application process and hear some interview tips
- a taster day in a relevant pathology department(s) within their own region.
RCPath/ BDIAP Foundation and Undergraduate Taster Event - 28 June 2023
The joint RCPath/BDIAP Foundation Taster Event 2023, was an exciting event held in June for foundation drs and undergraduates to explore pathology and see what the career has to offer. This virtual programme offered attendees the opportunity to explore:
• what pathology actually is and why it is important
• what the training involves
• the variety of opportunities that are available for trainees to pursue e.g. teaching, molecular and digital pathology
• advice about the application process and how to be successful at the interview
• how to pursue academic and research opportunities in pathology.
• Introduction: Prof Angharad Davies, Vice President for Learning, RCPath
• Welcome from the President: Why is pathology such a great career? Prof Mike Osborn, President, RCPath
• Foundation Doctor Opportunities: Dr Angharad Davies
• Foundation Fellow presentation 1– My experience in pathology, Dr Parr
• Pathology Longitudinal Integrated Foundation Training (LIFT) doctor – My experience in pathology, Taranvir Kullar
• Mystery Case: Dr Matt Clarke, Trainees’ Advisory Committee
• Panel Q&A: All speakers, Chaired by Dr Rachel Rummery
• Short presentation by BDIAP
If you missed this exciting webinar, catch up below!
Organising a Taster Day for Foundation doctors
If you are a pathologist and have any questions about organising a taster day, please do not hesitate to contact Dr Angharad Davies, the RCPath Undergraduate & Foundation Lead (Foundation) by emailing [email protected]. You may also find it helpful to refer to Health Education England's sample Guidance on the Provision of Specialty Tasters for Foundation Doctors.