The Art and Science of Practical Management
A programme of case based and reflective learning about the management of complex or difficult situations from the President of the Royal College of Pathologists, Professor Jo Martin, facilitated by the Chair of the Trainees’ Advisory Committee, Dr Matthew Clarke drawing on the theory and practical aspects of leadership and management in a healthcare setting.
Aimed at trainees, new and established consultants, clinical scientists and biomedical scientists, students and staff who want to reflect on their skills, and learn some tools that may be helpful in dealing with difficult situations.
Topics by date
- 07/10/2020 The role and the objectives...why? and why bother..?
- 14/10/2020 Follow the money....commissioning and financial flows
- 21/10/2020 Core tools in surfing the system - “Can you just send me the....”
- 28/10/2020 Dealing with mistakes and complaints
- 04/11/2020 Dealing with the unpleasant - “Expecto patronum...”
- 11/10/2020 Gossip, raising concerns and whistleblowing “I want to tell you about....”
- 18/10/2020 The public face of leadership and management “The Daily Mail test”
- 25/10/2020 Policy and influence – “How do I succeed in the things I want to do”
Recordings for each event will be available below.
Week 1: The role and the objectives...why? and why bother..?
Week 2: Follow the money....commissioning and financial flows
Week 3: Core tools in surfing the system - “Can you just send me the....”