Everyone working in the NHS should have an understanding of how it is organised and paid for, including the variations that result from devolution in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. We also need to understand why there is currently so much emphasis on leadership within the NHS at all levels. To be effective in our roles, our clinical and technical skills provide only about 30% of what we need, even from early career stages. The remaining 70%, particularly as our careers progress, represent leadership and managerial behavioural skills that support the sustained provision of services while seeking continuously to adopt beneficial innovations and improve quality.  This one-day programme, providing a condensed and interactive introduction to these topics, will be of interest to medical trainees and consultants, biomedical and clinical scientists from all pathology specialities.