Clinical Impact Awards
Clinical Impact Awards (CIAs) are part of the national pay award to medical and dental consultants and are intended to recognise and reward exceptional contribution over and above what is normally expected in a post.
Timings for 2023 applications
The 2023 National Clinical Impact Awards will open for applications on 03 March 2023 and the window is currently scheduled to close on 28 April 2023. Please see the below provisional timetable:
- 3 March to 28 April 2023 – applications open
- mid-January 2024 – notifications sent to successful applicants
- mid-January to mid-February 2024 – appeals window open
All eligible RCPath members are encouraged to consider self-nomination for an award.
College Nominations and Citations
The College is no longer allowed by ACCIA to support their members with nominations or citations. There is therefore no College submission process.
Maximising your success
To maximize your score for national award applications, it’s important to:
- write for the lay members of the regional ACCIA panels – use no unexplained abbreviations, acronyms or jargon
- draft the submission in Word and use spellcheck as well as character count
- be clear and avoid repetition. To quote ACCIA in past years, “If it is not clear we assume obfuscation.”
- only include achievements from last four or five years
- use facts and figures as much as possible.
When structuring your application, use one paragraph per achievement. Each paragraph should include as a minimum:
- date/s and description of achievement including benchmark data if available
- for potential benchmarking of a pathologists work consider College guidelines and audit templates
- an unambiguous statement about your role in the achievement
- a clear explanation of why the achievement is important to patients i.e. the impact
The ACCIA is the authoritative source of information for the English scheme.
2023 Resources from ACCIA
ACCIA has shared the following links which you may find useful for your application:
- Recordings of an applicant and employer webinar (Q&A to be uploaded in due course) – https://tinyurl.com/ACCIA2023webinars
- Printable resources (will shortly be updated with information relevant to the 2023 Awards Round) – National Clinical Impact Awards 2022: resources for applicants and employers - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- 2023 guidance for applicants - Applicants' guide: 2023 awards round - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Please note that the information on this page was last updated on 28 February 2023.