Page 155 – Influenza: the impact of nasal vaccine in infants
Professor Maria Zambon and Dr Richard Pebody
- Hakin B, Cosford P, Harvey F. The flu immunisation programme 2013/14 – extension to children. London, UK: NHS England; Public Health England; Department of Health, 2013. Available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/225360/Children_s_flu_letter_2013.pdf
- Baguelin M, Flasche S, Camacho A, Demiris N, Miller E, Edmunds WJ. Assessing optimal target populations for influenza vaccination programmes: an evidence synthesis and modelling study. PLoS Med 2013;10:e1001527.
- Rudenko LG, Slepushkin AN, Monto AS, Kendal AP, Grigorieva EP, Burtseva EP et al. Efficacy of live attenuated and inactivated influenza vaccines in schoolchildren and their unvaccinated contacts in Novgorod, Russia. J Infect Dis 1993;168:881–887.
- Reichert TA, Sugaya N, Fedson DS, Glezen WP, Simonsen L, Tashiro M. The Japanese experience with vaccinating schoolchildren. N Engl J Med 2001;344:889–896.
- Glezen WP, Gaglani MJ, Kozinetz CA, Piedra PA. Direct and indirect effectiveness of influenza vaccination delivered to children at school preceding an epidemic caused by 3 new influenza virus variants. J Infect Dis 2010;202:1626–1633.
- Pebody R, Warburton F, Ellis J, Andrews N, Potts A, Cottrell S et al. End-of-season influenza vaccine effectiveness in adults and children, United Kingdom, 2016/17. Euro Surveill 2017; doi: 10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2017.22.44.17-00306.
- Turner P, Southern J, Andrews NJ, Miller E, Erlewyn-Lajeunesse M; on behalf of the SNIFFLE Study Investigators. Safety of live attenuated influenza vaccine in atopic children with egg allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2015;136:376–381.
- Turner P, Southern J, Andrews NJ, Miller E, Erlewyn-Lajeunesse M; on behalf of the SNIFFLE-2 Study Investigators. Safety of live attenuated influenza vaccine in young people with egg allergy: multicentre prospective cohort study. BMJ 2015;351:h6291.
- Public Health England. PHE Weekly National Influenza Report. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/702908/Weekly_national_influenza_report_week_17_2018.pdf
- Pebody RG, Green HK, Andrews N, Zhao H, Boddington N, Bawa Z et al. Uptake and impact of a new live attenuated influenza vaccine programme in England: early results of a pilot in primary school-age children, 2013/14 influenza season. Euro Surveill 2014;19:pii:20823.
- Pebody R, Warburton F, Ellis J, Andrews N, Potts A, Cottrell S et al. Effectiveness of seasonal influenza vaccine for adults and children in preventing laboratory-confirmed influenza in primary care in the United Kingdom: 2015/16 end-of-season results. Euro Surveill 2016; doi: 10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2016.21.38.30348.
- Pebody R, Sile B, Warburton F, Sinnathamby M, Tsang C, Zhao H et al. Live attenuated influenza vaccine effectiveness against hospitalisation due to laboratory-confirmed influenza in children two to six years of age in England in the 2015/16 season. Euro Surveill 2017;26:pii:30450.
- Singanayagam A, Zambon M, Lalvani A, Barclay W. Urgent challenges in implementing live attenuated influenza vaccine. Lancet Infect Dis 2018;18:e25–e32.
- Pebody RG, Green HK, Andrews N, Boddington NL, Zhao H, Yonova I et al. Uptake and impact of vaccinating school age children against influenza during a season with circulation of drifted influenza A and B strains, England, 2014/15. Euro Surveill 2015; doi: 10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2015.20.39.30029.
- Pebody R, McMenamin J, Nohynek H. Live attenuated influenza vaccine (LAIV): recent effectiveness results from the USA and implications for LAIV programmes elsewhere. Arch Dis Child 2018;103:101–105.