College Trainee Research Medals
Our Trainee Research Medals are awarded annually for outstanding research work undertaken by pathologists or scientists in training. Medals are awarded for research published in the specialties (listed below) in the relevant year (1 July - 30 June).
- A Gold Research Medal is awarded for the best research published.
- Specialty Research Medals are awarded to the best candidates in each of the major specialties of the College.
Medals are assessed for:
- potential benefits to the public and patients
- impact on the field
- contribution of the individual to the paper.
Medals will be presented at a College ceremony in 2020. The paper or a related extract by the overall winner (recipient of the gold medal) will be published on the College website and/or in the College Bulletin.
Who can apply?
The awards are open to all junior pathologists or scientists registered with the College or a UK Regulatory Council for training purposes during the year the submitted paper was published. The article must either have been either published or accepted for publication by a peer-reviewed journal.
The specialties for which the medal is awarded are:
- Clinical Biochemistry
- Medical Microbiology and Virology
- Cellular Pathology
- Smaller specialties: Immunology, Allergy, Toxicology, Veterinary Pathology, Embryology and any other specialties that fall within the training schemes of the Royal College of Pathologists.
The aims of the Royal College of Pathologists’ Research Medals scheme are:
- to recognise and reward the best of the excellent science that College trainees publish, encouraging them in their research careers
- to enhance the curricula vitae of the successful individuals improves their chances of external research awards
- ultimately, to increase research activity within pathology
- to enhance the status of the research of pathology trainees, both within and outside the College
- to help identify the future research stars that will provide the next generation of leadership in research
- to generate positive publicity and the value trainees gain from the College.
How do I submit my application?
To apply, simply return your application form to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Friday 2 August 2019