Joint Committee on Immunology & Allergy
This Committee is joint between The Royal College of Pathologists and The Royal College of Physicians (London). It advises the parent bodies, or other organisations on their behalf, on matters of mutual interest regarding the diagnosis and treatment of allergies.
Administration of the JCIA is divided between the Royal College of Physicians (London) and the Royal College of Pathologists and is currently administered by RCPath until December 2023.
“Shape of training” review
There are two separate curricula for Allergy and for Immunology (the latter also includes allergy training and the requirement to complete FRCPath Immunology /Immunopathology). These lead to separate CCST awards, and are supervised by separate committees at JCHMT. As the RCP in considers how best to ensure that this large review, (affecting all medical specialties) meets the needs of GIM (general internal medicine 24/7), our committee is developing modular training components to ensure that workforce needs for allergy, immunology (including immunodeficiency), and laboratory immunopathology are all met.
Clinical service accreditation
Clinical service accreditation schemes have been developing over the last few years and are now at an advanced stage for both allergy patients and separately for Immunodeficiency patients. Already evidence is emerging that our peer-agreed, minimum, patient care standards are helping improve quality of care. They will also be a prerequisite for funding and commissioning.
Chair: Dr Patrick Yong
- Ms Madeleine Bano - RCP IQAS and QPIDs (co-opted)
- Dr Peter Belfield - (Interim) Registrar RCP
- Prof Colin Dayan - British Society for Immunology
- Dr Tariq El-shanawamy - Association of Clinical Pathologists
- Dr Andrew Goddard - RCP President
- Dr Elizabeth Griffiths - Chair of Allergy SAC
- Prof Peter Johnston - Vice President for Professionalism
- Dr Thirumala Krishna - RCP representative
- Dr Shuaib Nasser - (RCP)
- Dr Mike Osborn - President RCPath
- Dr Prathap Pillai - Commissioning (co-opted)
- Dr Lance Sandle - RCPath Registrar
- Dr Ravishankar Sargur - RCPath representative (Medically qualified)
- Dr Siniša Savić - FRCPath, representing UKPIN Network
- Dr Leonard Siew - British Society for Allergy & Clinical Immunology