- 09:00 - 14/07/2021 to 14:00 - 15/07/2021
- Manchester, M13 9LL, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
The virtual Annual SHOT Symposium 2021 provides an excellent opportunity for all staff involved in transfusion medicine including collection of blood, processing and testing, administration of blood and management of patients to network, learn from experiences and share best practices.
We have an exciting programme that includes 'Meet the experts' sessions to invited lectures, panel discussions and debates covering key haemovigilance and patient safety issues.
The key messages and recommendations from the latest Annual SHOT report will also be shared with all participants. The symposium also presents a great opportunity to submit abstracts on quality improvement initiatives, educational projects, audits and share experiences.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This virtual event is suitable to all staff interested and/or directly involved in blood transfusions- clinical, laboratory, quality and regulatory.
The programme has several well recognised speakers, subject matter experts and other invited speakers from the transfusion community. Details regarding the topic and time are in the event programme in the link provided.
- Anthony Bennett will be sharing his experiences as a patient
- Helen Bevan, Chief Transformation Office, NHS Horizons
- Prof Sidney Dekker Professor at Griffith University and Honorary Professor of Psychology at the University of Queensland, Australia
- Prof Rhona Flin, Emeritus Professor at the University of Aberdeen and Professor of Industrial Psychology at Robert Gordon University
- Dr Chris Subbe, School of Medical Sciences, Bangor
- Dr Steven Shorrock, Chartered Psychologist & Chartered Ergonomist and Human Factors Specialist
- Dr Helen New, Consultant in Paediatric Transfusion Medicine, NHSBT
- Andrea Harris, Clinical Services Professional Nursing Lead, NHS Blood & Transplant
- Dr Lise Estcourt, Consultant Haematologist for NHS Blood and Transplant, and Senior Clinical Lecturer in Transfusion Medicine
- Prof Dave Roberts, Professor of Haematology, University of Oxford, Associate Medical Director for Blood Donation, NHSBT
Members of the SHOT Steering Group will be participating in the 'Meet the experts' sessions and the programme also includes a panel discussion on the impact of the pandemic on haemovigilance- experts from around the world are participating in this discussion like Dr Barbee Whitaker, Lead General Health Scientist, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research at FDA, USA; Dr Mary Townsend, clinical pathologist and transfusion medicine specialist, USA; Prof. Mindy Goldman Adjunct Professor, Department of Pathology
and Laboratory Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa; Prof. Erica Wood (Transfusion Medicine Specialist, and Head of the Transfusion Research Unit at DEPM), Australia
Prof. Jo Wiersum (Donor physician for the Dutch blood supply organisation, Sanquin); Dr Shruthi Narayan (Clinical Director SHOT) and Chris Robbie (MHRA).
The programme also includes a debate on a haemovigilance topic and Eleanor Knight (NHS Tayside) and Rachel Moss,(GOSH) both of whom transfusion practitioners will be presenting their views and participating in the debate.
For more information, please contact: SHOT.Symposium@nhsbt.nhs.uk