In February, staff from the College's International and Events teams and the Vice President for Learning, Professor Angharad Davies, travelled to the United Arab Emirates to exhibit at Medlab one of the largest healthcare conferences in the world. The exhibition was followed by a meeting for members from the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region hosted at one of the College’s international partners, Mohammed Bin Rashid University.
The College at Medlab
Exhibiting at Medlab was an opportunity for College staff and representatives to meet members from across the MENA region and to interact with visitors to the stand; showcasing its international programme, the benefits of joining the College and the process for sitting the College's FRCPath examinations.
Held over 4 days, Medlab showcases the future of medical technology to healthcare and laboratory communities.
The conference gives delegates the opportunity to attend educational talks and workshops, covering diverse topics such as laboratory management and molecular diagnostics.
They are also able to network and discover the latest medical innovations by visiting exhibitors from around the world.
Feedback from visitors to the College’s exhibition stand highlighted the potential for the College to increase its presence in numerous regions, specifically Sub-Saharan Africa and South East Asia.
The supporting resources available at the stand, such as the presentation on the screen and handouts packed with College information, were well received. It was also clear that people found it helpful to receive practical advice and guidance from the representatives of the College.
The following College members provided guidance and support on the stand. We are grateful for their time and help:
- Professor Angharad Davies Vice President for Learning
- Professor Maysa Al-Hussaini, the International Regional Advisor for MENA
- Dr Omar Layth Qassid, the Associate International Regional Advisor for the MENA Region
- Professor Mona El-Bahrawy Immediate-past Country Advisor for Egypt.
College speakers also gave presentations at Medlab:
- Professor Angharad Davies delivered a presentation on educating the healthcare workforce in antimicrobial resistance and stewardship (AMS)
- Dr Ranganathan Iyer, Associate International Regional Advisor for South East Asia, gave a talk on Quality Assurance in Microbiology – Its role in good patient care
- Dr Sudha Ranganathan spoke about neonatal and paediatric transfusion practice.
MENA members’ meeting
As part of the visit, the College also hosted a meeting of MENA members meeting at Mohammed Bin Rashid University, one of the College’s international Memorandum of Understanding partners.
It was chaired by Dr Shroque Zaher, RCPath Country Advisor for the UAE.
Speakers highlighted activities from across the region and the FRCPath Histopathology Part 2 exams that took place just a few weeks before in Egypt
Speakers at the event included:
- RCPath President Professor Mike Osborn
- RCPath Clinical Director of International Activities, Professor Ismail Matalka
- RCPath International Regional Advisor for the Middle East and North Africa, Professor Maysa Al-Hussaini
- RCPath Associate International Regional Advisor for the Middle East and North Africa, Dr Omar Layth Qassid
- RCPath Immediate-past Country Advisor for Egypt, Dr Mona El-Bahrawy
- RCPath Vice President for Learning with oversight of the International team, Professor Angharad Davies
Congratulating FRCPath exam candidates
Candidates who passed the Histopathology part 2 exams in Jordan and Dubai in October 2022 were also congratulated by Professor Angharad Davies.