Transfusion Medicine SAC
Transfusion medicine is concerned with the transfusion of blood and blood components.
Chair: Dr Paula Bolton-Maggs
- Dr Shubha Allard - National Blood Transfusion Committee
- Dr Sylvia Armstrong-Fisher - British Blood Transfusion Service
- Dr Ann Benton - Welsh Blood Service
- Dr Lise Estcourt - Clinical tutor NHSBT (co-opted)
- Dr Dora Foukaneli - Joint Royal Colleges of Physicians Training Board
- Dr Rachel Green - Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service
- Dr Tom Latham - Transfusion Science Examinations representative
- Dr Tim Littlewood - Vice President of Professionalism
- Ms Karen Madgwick - Institute of Biomedical Science representative
- Dr Kieran Morris - Northern Ireland Blood Transfusion
- Dr Shruthi Narayan - SHOT representative
- Prof David Roberts - Research/Academic Activities
- Vacancy - RCPath Haematology Examinations Co-lead
- Vacancy - Trainee representative
Oliver Memorial Award
In 1921 Percy Oliver created world’s first voluntary blood donor service. Following his death in 1944, his colleagues created the Oliver Memorial Fund to perpetuate his achievement and administered it for over 50 years. In 2001, the Royal College of Pathologists took over the task of administering the fund through Annual Awards to recognise achievements in transfusion medicine. From 2013 a further element has been added to the award - a bursary to assist trainees to attend national or international seminars or conferences on transfusion medicine.
Percy Oliver Memorial Award - 2019 applications
The Memorial Award is given to an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to the field of blood transfusion. This year, the award will be given for transfusion medicine nursing.
The deadline for nominations and accompanying citations was 26 May 2019. Applications have been sent to the Transfusion Medicine SAC for review.
Trainee Travel Bursary - 2019 applications
The Trainee Travel Bursary is offered each spring and autumn to a value of up to £500. The bursary can be used to cover travel and accommodation costs for trainee clinicians and clinical scientists, enrolled in a recognised UK training scheme and working in the field of transfusion medicine, to enable their participation in a national or international blood transfusion meeting.
The application form can be found below and the next deadline is 5 pm on Monday 26 August 2019.