National Pathology Week (NPW) is our annual celebration of pathology, when we highlight the important contribution pathologists make to healthcare. Working in partnership with pathologists and laboratory scientists, our programme of events and activities aims to engage people of all ages, and improve public awareness and understanding of how pathologists and scientists diagnose disease.
We welcome pathology-related events and activities of all sizes, and various formats (including online!), in our nationwide programme – we’ve got lots of ideas and free resources to help with planning and delivering great activities.
National Pathology Week 2023
National Pathology Week (NPW) 2023 ran from 19 – 25 June. NPW now takes place in June each year to coincide with the College's anniversary on 21 June. Our theme for 2023 was 'Pathologists and Patients'.
We highlighted the essential work pathologists and clinical scientists do to help patients and supported members and their teams to do the same around the UK.
- Our NPW Twitter competition challenged members and their teams to tweet a photo or video that summed up our theme - watch this space to find out who won!
- Monday 19 June - RCPath Book Club featuring 'Quackery: A Brief History of the Worst Ways to Cure Everything'
- Wednesday 21 June - Virtual Pathology Pub Quiz for Undergraduates
- Thursday 22 June - Art of Pathology Exhibition at the Annual Dinner drinks reception
- Friday 23 June - Virtual Veterinary Pathology Pub Quiz for Undergraduates (on Instagram)
- Saturday 24 June - Discovering Cells art-science workshop with Dr Lizzie Burns and histopathologist, Dr Stephanie Edwards.
Did you run something for NPW 2023?
If you did, please get in touch to let us know about your event, we're keen to capture as many member-led events from around the UK as possible in our NPW evaluation report. Share your NPW photos with us on Twitter - tag us @RCPath and use the hashtags #PathologyWeek and #PathologistsAndPatients.
Ideas for future NPW events
Here are some ideas of activities you can run during National Pathology Week.
- Set up a stall in your hospital or university to showcase what your team does. You can order free RCPath promotional materials here.
- Use our theme, 'Pathologists and Patients' to highlight the role of pathology teams in prevention, diagnosis and treatment. Check out our Facts and Figures page.
- Run a hands-on activity for your local community. Check out our free resources and activity packs here.
- Give a careers talk to your local schools or universities. Have a look at our 'how to' guide for more details.
- Run a lab tour
Become a Pathology Ambassador
We've teamed up with STEM Learning to provide our members with the opporutnity of signing up to the national STEM Ambassador scheme. More information is available in STEM Learning's handbook and leaflet provided below and on our Pathology Ambassador page.
A look back at National Pathology Week 2022
National Pathology Week 2022 ran from 20 – 26 June. We moved the celebrations from November to June as part of the College's Diamond Jubilee. The theme was 'Pathology: past, present and future'.
Find out about the free NPW College-led events using the links below.
- Monday 20 June, 6.30-7.30pm BST - 'Pathology: past, present and future' panel discussion
- Tuesday 21 June - the College's 60th birthday and Foundation lecture by Professor Jonathan Van-Tam
- Wednesday 22 June, 6.30-8pm BST - virtual pub quiz for medical and biomedical undergraduates
- Thursday 23 June, 5-6pm BST - RCPath Book Club featuring Stuck by Professor Heidi J. Larson
- Friday 24 June, 5.30-7pm BST - virtual pub quiz for veterinary undergraduates
- Saturday 25 June, 11am-12pm BST - Family pathology-inspired origami workshop with Dr Lizzie Burns